Friday, June 27, 2008

Fearful Parent Danger #287

Captain Monkey Paws decided he wanted to wear my gas-permeable rigid contact lenses.

Luckily, my hover-parent alarm went off when I heard (or didn't hear) him in the bathroom.  By the time I saw what he was up to, one contact was on his right eyebrow and the other was in pieces on his fingertips (and very likely parts were down the drain, since the sink wasn't plugged).

Once I calmed down a bit, I realized there was a very low but non-zero chance that shards of contact lens were in A's eye, and that although his eyes were clear and he was neither crying nor trying to claw out an eye, I would lie in bed at 3:21 AM wondering if I would have to teach A Braille.

A doctor visit to after-hours pediatrics later confirmed things were fine.  They used a fluorescing dye and found no signs of damage.  

The one cool thing about the visit is that we discovered that there are small parts of A's hair that are so blonde they are fluorescent under UV light.

No comments: