Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Gods and Monsters

A painted this the other week.  It's been hanging in the kitchen.

M and I agree that it has a "Night on Bald Mountain" feel to it.  A hasn't seen that particular Disney cartoon (yet).   I wish I knew what was going on in hi
s head when he paints -- when I ask him to tell me about the painting I get 35-month-year-old answers that are difficult for me to parse (along the lines of '...it's a kind of flower that you stick in the ground,' -- his 
favorite answer lately).

I let him use three colors right away.  His response was to dip the paintbrush into all three cups and then apply them to the paper.   He painted the circles first (I think), then the straight lines along the right-hand side of the paper.  The last part were the "dots" along the bottom.  Then he looked at me and said, "Can I have another piece of paper."  

The next piece wasn't quite so dense.  M looked at it once it was up and said that it looked like some kind of "eye of the Earth-mother snake goddess."  It reminds me of a psychological test where you have to look at an ambiguous figure and decide if it is a rabbit or a duck.  But I can see the eye.  M said that there was a womb in this one, too.  I see a quail as well.  

After two paintings, A said he was done -- so we put away the art supplies.  He's been wanting to do more painting, but always just before dinner or bed-time; but M says that they'll try some more art over the weekend.  

No comments: