Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Quick Report

We went camping and A enjoyed it -- although I think he enjoyed visiting with his friend Eric more than actually being in the woods.  (Okay, they both really liked finding snow and ice in August.)   A probably was in a three-year-old's heaven when he found a stick he could use as a pirate sword to have a sword fight with Eric (A cheats).

M bought A some really big bolts and nuts.  A loves them, and promptly got a hammer so he could "build a rocket."

A will let me read "The House at Pooh Corner" to him.  I had never realized until now how sarcastic A. A. Millne was, and I think he might be my new hero.  Eeyore isn't gloomy, he's downright snarky.  

A has entered the, "Well, you see..." stage of toddler-hood.  "Well, you see, J; I have to vacuum the cat because her fur is dirty and I want to take the dirt off the cat and put it into the vacuum cleaner so I can take it out of the vacuum cleaner and put it into the fireplace and stuff it up the chimney..."   "Well, you see..." is less irritating than the whispered "Maybe I will [do something I've just told him not to do]."

A announces on a fairly regular basis that he wants to put on his pirate costume, "so I can be a bad guy and [insert felony crime here]."  Usually he wants to take coveted library books away from other children, but upon occasion he's expressed a desire to steal cars or burn the library down.  I guess we'll have to hide the matches when A wears his pirate costume.

When A's larcenous intentions are particularly heinous, I gently remind him that his victims would feel like A did when he got upset by the book entitled, "Squash the Spider."  (No bugs were harmed in this book, "Squash" is the spider's name.)  A was reduced to tears during Scary Reading Hour simply by hearing the title of the book read dramatically.  

No comments: